Sunday, December 29, 2013

How to accept and respect everybody's opinions

Sometimes we forget to lower that shield or barrier that allows us to see and properly hear what others are trying to say to us. I'm really bad at accepting opposing beliefs of subjects I feel strongly towards. Even though sometimes people say hurtful things, a lot of the time I forget to realise that they might actually be trying to help me. In fact, most of the time they are just looking out for me and my future.

I would say that one of the most frustrating things is not being able to express what I feel around my parents. There is this language barrier that I can't cross, and in spur of the moments when I'm trying really hard to express how I feel, the conversation slowly edges towards the argumentative direction, when all I wanted was to have a normal conversation. 

The cultural difference is so extreme, and when you combine it with everyone's individual traits (headstrong, aggressive people) - it gets more and more difficult to express your inner thoughts or feelings. I'm really quite an impatient person, and that's one trait I really really dislike about myself and am hoping to change. I don't know whether I'm meant to train myself, like they do in movies with chopsticks and grains of rice, one at a time.

I'm easily frustrated and I absolutely hate the atmosphere of arguments - in which case I shut myself in and turn it all off to avoid being upset. I absolutely hate the feeling of fighting with my parents (for example)

It's a really hard thing to change. Opening your mind to accepting and respecting everyone's beliefs. My dad told me that a person can never be truly successful if they don't have the ability to truly listen to the opinions that are given to them. 

I really want to try this. I really want to be able to listen. And really take in what people say to me, even when their opinion is absurd to me or completely insane. Freedom of speech right? Everyone's opinion deserves to be heard, but you yourself are the judge - whether or not you agree or disagree is your choice. 

 I want to be able to forgive people, to live in a way that allows me to really listen to other people's opinions, to accept the fact that I need to be patient to be able to fully ever explain how I feel. I will be able to express myself if I try, accept, persevere, listen. What I really want to do is to be able to see the best in people, situations and experiences. To avoid shying away from daunting perspectives, to accept (helpful) criticism, to not be afraid to hear words that can hurt me. I don't want to shy away and be the stubborn person I am anymore, it's time for a change. In my heart I am grateful for so many things, but I've been so caught up in what I'm grateful for than actually remembering to express my thankfulness to my loved ones. 

What's more important is expressing how you feel. No matter how much goodness is in your heart - you must also exert that same love towards those whom you are thankful for. 

Acceptance, forgiveness, love, open minded-ness. 
I'm taking the first step to becoming a healthier individual, one that is able to take in the valuable advice, opinions and wisdom that is offered to me, bad or good, crazy or relatable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment